Wednesday 4 January 2017

Day 1 - The Truth About Myself

My Journey to Redemption (Finding love in a world that deemed in impossible)
by Riaz Ismail
 

After many breakups and countless hook-ups, I set sail on a journey to find myself, to create meaning in my own life and feel like I have accomplished something worthy. I recently arrived in Washington DC, just having cum laude my law degree. I was beyond ecstatic.
It was July 4th, a frigid overcast day when I walked into Allen O’ Brien, the most successful law firm in DC. I felt proud, I was top of my class, had a strong letter of recommendation and I wore my favourite double breasted navy blue suit. I was practically unstoppable.
I walked to the front desk, explained to them that I was here for the junior lawyer position and was directed to the interview room. I sat outside and watched as many prospects went in and out hoping that they had secured the vacancy. In my mind, I laughed at their feeble attempt because let’s be honest the job was practically mine already.
My interview didn’t last very long, but I hadn’t given it much thought. I knew that stressing over something that wasn’t in my control would be very futile. I headed downtown and continued searching for an apartment. Many of the apartments that I had gone to see in the week were great but the neighbourhood was not a friendly one. I knew that I was being very picky and soon enough I would have to settle with whatever came my way.
Alex, my college buddy didn’t mind that I was staying with him but I needed to get my own place. Alex was a great host, but he didn’t know the boundaries of personal space. Even if I had found the right place, I would have to wait for a few days since I couldn’t access my money in the trust fund. Matthew, who was our family lawyer for as long as I could remember, promised that it would all be sorted out by the end of the week. I kept my thumbs crossed.
The relationship between my parents was not something that I could have been proud of, so when people asked me how they were, or who they were I pretended like they were dead. I knew that it would make me seem like a monster, but they really didn’t have that maternal/ paternal gene that qualified them to be parents, I personally think that they were bored and wanted to try something new.
I had a sister; well a step sister but that really didn’t bother me. She is younger than me, so I try to stay in contact with her as often as I can so that she has someone to support her but life always gets in the way, well that’s the excuse I tell everyone simply because I don’t think that I am capable of being a ‘family’ guy. I always prided myself on being a strong person but I never imagined the extent to which my strength would be tested.  My name is Oliver James Dean and this is my story. This is how I got to where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment