Tuesday 1 November 2016

Falling In Love With Paris


One of the bridges crossing the Seine river in Lille, France
Paris, the city of lights offers something for everyone from shopping malls to beautiful beaux arts architecture that astonishes for days, picturesque cafes on almost every street corner with the most tantalizing pastries, countless bridges crossing the Seine pleading for twilight strolls and secret glimpses. The ubiquitous violin stroking you back to the days one could only read in a Jane Austen’s novel. How could you not fall in love?  What stands out to me when I look back on my travels are not the celebrated cenotaphs and galleries, rather it is wandering through the cobblestone roads; listening to street performers and watching local painters create their masterpiece.
The square in Lille houses a variety of humanity but you still seem to find your own little place in which you can enjoy amidst the majestic statues, fountains and various shops. We lost ourselves in frantic photograph sessions and then we strolled down the street to a local patisserie located just off the corner of Rue du Cure Saint-Etienne, called Meert, although I like to call it Le Magnifique. Dark wood panelling, soft cushion booths, counters filled with cakes, pastries and delicacies that I could only have dreamt of. I had to stop myself from screaming with joy.  It was truly so much more than I could ever describe, definitely a fairytale alive in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment